Job Title: Culinary Assistant Intern
Salary Range: This is an unpaid Internship
Reports to: Rachel Kiichli, Program Director
Employment Status: Temporary
About Bay Leaf Kitchen:
Bay Leaf Kitchen empowers children and families with the ability to feed themselves seasonal, nourishing food through an immersive culinary curriculum to build a resilient, diverse community in the soil and around the table.
Description - General Function:
The Summer Intern at Bay Leaf Kitchen will work closely with our chefs to plan and implement seven weeks of educational cooking programming during June, July and August, 2017. Applicants must be able to lead and actively participate in cooking activities with children, be able to effectively monitor behavior while using appropriate discipline techniques, and develop age appropriate cooking activities during recess and on the farm. This position is responsible for helping to plan and maintain a safe, clean and fun summer cooking program site; ensuring a high level of program quality and working to establish a positive relationship with all program participants. The Summer Culinary Assistant will provide a positive role model to counselors, staff members and youth within the philosophy of Bay Leaf Kitchen standards with emphasis on having fun in the kitchen.
Skills and Requirements:
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Passion for cooking and cooking education.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Certified in First Aid and CPR, preferred.
- Must have experience working with youth / teens.
- Attention to detail and ability to problem solve, constructively, on the go.
Counselor Activities and Expectations:
- Arrive to work on time, as scheduled, ready to work.
- Supervise the campers during cooking and physical fitness activities, with first priority on their safety.
- Participate and encourage positive participation of all students in daily activities and events.
- Communicate your needs to Bay Leaf Kitchen leadership ie: asking questions when not sure what to do, asking for breaks when tired
- Be respectful of local and sustainable food.
- Food Allergies - Bay Leaf Kitchen runs a completely nut free program. We ask that you do not bring nuts into the kitchen or, even, with you to camp. Please be aware and careful of campers’ health.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Rachel Kiichli at email@example.com