Jr. Chef Helpers
Kids Teaching Kids
Learning how to cook for yourself is an important life skill and learning together in community is FUN. Jr. Chef Helpers is an innovative, year-round program for ages 10 - 17, that combines peer mentorship and community involvement with advanced kitchen techniques, cooking classes and opportunities to work with guest chefs. Kids have a tremendous amount to offer; we excite our students to feel confident cooking healthy, seasonal food for their friends and family and for themselves.
Throughout the semester, Jr. Chef Helpers will participate in a combination of food-related community events, cooking classes, urban gardening and peer mentorship opportunities. Activities will span co-teaching our After School Program and Community Dinner classes, pitching in at garden/farm events and working, in small groups, to expand their cooking horizons with Guest Chefs and in San Francisco Restaurants.
Any child who fills the BELOW criteria can Participate:
Aged 10-17, has an interest in cooking, baking (or eating!) and would like to share their enthusiasm and teach younger kids. Signing up for the Jr. Chef Helpers Program includes up to 20 Classes, Field Trips and/or Community Events over the course of the Semester. Students attend a mix of at least two of each type of weekend activity and no fewer than one after-school day per month (exceptions may apply, please email email@example.com to inquire).
Jr. Chef Helpers Spring, 2017 program rate is $750.
Bay Leaf Kitchen Financial Aid is always available to those in need.
Click HERE to apply for Financial Aid for the Semester before you register.
registration for spring, 2017 is closed. please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the program. We look forward to seeing you in camp this summer!
SCHEDULE - SPRING, 2017
Please Note: schedule is subject to changes in date, time and location. Also, additional events will be added as the semester progresses. All locations will be in San Francisco and will be announced as class dates draw nearer.
This semester, Jr. Chef Helpers can sign up to help teach our newly-launched after school program:
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMMING WILL BE EVERY WEDNESDAY FROM 4:00 - 5:45 FROM JANUARY 25TH - FEBRUARY 15TH AND AGAIN FROM MARCH 1ST - MARCH 29TH. PLEASE EMAIL US AT INFO@BAYLEAFKITCHEN.ORG IF YOUR CHILD WOULD LIKE TO SIGN UP FOR AFTER SCHOOL CLASSES.
In addition, the following events will be offered this semester:
- Saturday, January 21st, 9:00AM - 1:30PM: Orientation and Guest Chef Class
- Sunday, January 29th, 2:30PM - 6:00PM: Community Dinner Number One
- Sunday, February 5th, 10:00AM - 2:00PM: Recipe Testing with Chef Andrew for a Laughing Monk Fundraiser
- Saturday, February 11th, 10:00AM - 1:30PM: Guest Chef Class
- Sunday, February 19th, 11:30 - 5:30 (shifts): Laughing Monk Fundraiser
- Sunday, February 26th, 2:30PM - 6:00PM: Community Dinner Number Two
- Sunday, March 5th, 10:00AM - 1:30PM: Recipe Testing for Bay Leaf Kitchen Cookbook
- Saturday, March 11th, 10:00AM - 11:15AM: Market to Table Demo with Lorraine Walker at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A CHANGED CLASS TIME)
- Saturday, March 18th, 10:00AM - 1:30PM: Guest Chef Class
- Sunday, March 26th, 2:30PM - 6:00PM: Community Dinner Number Three
- Saturday, April 15th, 10:00AM - 1:30PM: Guest Chef Class
- Saturday, April 29th, 10:00AM - 1:30PM: Recipe Testing for Bay Leaf Kitchen Cookbook
- Sunday, April 30th, 2:30PM - 6:00PM: Community Dinner Number Four
- Saturday, May 6th, 1:30PM - 4:00PM: Guest Chef Class (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A CHANGED CLASS TIME)
- Sunday, May 21st: End of Semester Event
Guest Chef Classes: students will work with a guest chef from a San Francisco restaurant or food business and learn how to cook something that is near and dear to that chef's heart.
Community Dinners: in addition to the Guest Chef Class, every month this Fall Bay Leaf Kitchen will offer a Community Dinner. This new program at Bay Leaf Kitchen will create an opportunity for Jr. Chef Helpers to work on their recipe development and expand upon their teaching skills. Once a month families (parents, children, guardians, cousins, siblings etc) will come take a class with Bay Leaf Kitchen that will be led, in part, by Jr. Chef Helpers. We will work together to cook a meal that we will sit down and share around the table at the end of class.
After School Program: Jr. Chef Helpers will also have the opportunity to help teach an after school program in a San Francisco elementary school.
Additional Events: From recipe testing to field trips to fundraisers, Jr. Chef Helpers will never be bored!
Regular classes will begin on January 21st, 2017 and end on May 21st, 2017. Register today to reserve your child's spot in the Jr. Chef Helper Program.