Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis.
Makes about 18 zeppoles
What Do We Need?
1/2 cup sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 stick butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
Oil for frying
How Do We Make It?
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Take pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Return pan to the heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the flour mixture to a medium bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using an electric hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, add the eggs, 1 at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Beat until smooth. If not frying immediately, cover with plastic wrap and reserve in the refrigerator.
- Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 357 degrees.
- Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, carefully drop about half a tablespoon of the dough into the hot oil, frying in batches. Turn the zeppole once or twice, cooking until golden and puffed up, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Toss with cinnamon-sugar. Enjoy immediately!